Graduate Research Opportunities
There are a range of graduate research opportunities in the SMF group, to study for PhD or MPhil degrees. Funding is usually provided by group research projects or research council scholarships (through the department), although other scholarship opportunities also exist (Gates, Churchill, Oppenheimer, etc.).
- Please email Andrew Jardine for more information about potential studies in Fracture & Shock Physics.
- Bill Allison or John Ellis can advise about potential studies in Surface Physics.
Other related information:
- Potential Fracture and Shock Physics projects
- Potential Research projects in Surface Physics
- The Physics Department graduate admissions page (Note: this page still contains last year's project list.)
For more information, or if you would like to express initial interest, please get in touch with us.
Postdoctoral & Other Vacancies
Postdoctoral and other jobs regularly become available in the SMF group:
- Please email Andrew Jardine for more information about vacancies in Fracture & Shock Physics.
- Bill Allison or John Ellis can advice about opportunities in Surface Physics.
We are particularly keen to support independent researchers and fellowship applications - please get in touch with us to discuss how to put in applications.
Undergraduate Research Programme
Several long-vacation undergraduate research placements are available within with Surface Microstructure and Fracture research group at the Cavendish laboratory. The placements are intended to give real experience in condensed matter physics research to undergraduate students.
More information and a description of the application procedure is available here.